Monday, March 3, 2014

Update on Raw Veganism, Veganism, and a fun happy recipe

Hello my little earthlings, I have been gone for quite a while now and I am feeling a renewed energy to start writing and sharing once again. There are a few things that have changed since the last time I have posted on this blog. So I am here to update  and leave a good recipe for you all.
My last post spoke about Raw veganism and I would like to tell you all that I am now a very high raw vegan. This means that I eat mostly raw foods consisting of vegetables, fruits, and nuts and seeds per day. I may have some cooked food and if it is cooked, it will be lightly steamed veggies, taro, or rice. I would like to now change the focus of this blog to promoting a lifestyle like this as it is easy, fruitful (literally), and bountiful. There's no form of deprivation in terms of nutrition and mental clarity. It truly is amazing and just incorporating more raw foods into one's diet can really make a difference.

Over the past few months, I experimented with the amounts of fruits and vegetables I was eating. At first, I was eating lots of fruits which helped me sustain my energy with good vitamins and minerals along with sugar. What I realized was that I was not getting enough of my green veggies in, which was detrimental to my energy levels. As a runner, I was iron deficient and always tired. Only recently have I increased my vegetable intake, which has changed my energy levels dramatically! I have also learned a lot about food combining which I will write about on another day. It has to do with pH levels and how your digestive system functions which translates to what you eat and what you eat it with. Different types of foods like sub acid, acid, and sweet fruits have different effects when eaten together.

As of now, I usually eat predominately fruits during the day and a huge serving of vegetables at night with some nuts and seeds. I sometimes consume cooked foods like sweet potato, roasted nuts and seeds, taro, and maybe even rice. It's been going pretty well and I have had no deficiencies. In fact, it is much better than how I felt when eating meat and dairy. I also have found a new appreciation for my food as it is not just something to satisfy my need to eat in the moment, it is instead something of longevity for the future.

It definitely has taken me time to master eating this way at school as there are no people who eat this way. I hope to encourage people to eat with more raw fruits and vegetables or "living foods." When I go to lunch, if there is fruit I will eat that and I make a huge salad. I have a boufet line at school so I can take as much as I want but, I don't eat that much at lunch as the food there is most likely non-organic.

Now it's time for the fun happy recipe! I have recently been obsessed with juices and the idea of juicing. It's an amazing way to get nutrients and it's super easy. This is my carrot, tumeric, and orange juice. It's a great way to start the day or even as a refreshing snack/meal during the day. I'll call this juice: Sun in a Jar juice

Sun in a Jar Juice 
Makes about 24oz of Juice


- 2-3 Navel Organic oranges (they just taste amazing)
- 4-5 Organic carrots
- A nub of tumeric
1. Process through a juicer and enjoy! It's really that easy :)

This juice has an amazing orange color that is self explanatory for the amount of nutrients in the juice itself. It truly holds energy (like the sun) for your body... plus it tastes really good!

In addition to this recipe, I would like to share a picture of my breakfast which was a papaya acai bowl... If you don't know what this is, I'll show you...


 It's basically the standard acai bowl base in a papaya with garnishing on top. The acai bowl base is made up of two Sambazon acai packets, a cup of organic frozen blueberries, 1 banana, and just a little splash of coconut water. Blend blend blend and this frothy mixture is the result. It's amazingly tasty and with the papaya, it's an amazing mix of fresh flavors.


Eat your veggies! :) enjoy

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Kai, I love reading your work! It's really got me motivated to thrive for more raw foods and live a more veggie-lishious lifestyle. You are truly a very inspirational "High Raw Teen".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol thanks owe!! You are truly one of the purest and down to earth people at our school! I'm so thankful for having a friend to veg out with!

    ReplyDelete