Thursday, July 11, 2013

Herb Mozzarella Portobello mushroom

Recently I just visited Oregon and I met my fathers childhood friend who told me that she and her family used to harvest maitake mushrooms in the forests of Oregon. I was amazed and intrigued because I had never had it before. I was thinking about our conversation today and I realized that I was pretty darn hungry... I decided that because I was so hungry I would make myself a Portobello snack. This took me about 10 minutes and it satisfied my pangs of hunger at the moment. I have written down a recipe for my Herb Mozzarella Portobello Mushroom but honestly, this mushroom is a blank canvas. You can make a mini pizza with it, or a chicken margherita themed mushroom. Mushrooms are awesome!! Be creative!

First, a few fun-facts about Portobello Mushrooms. Although you may think of them as fungi or a weird moist growth from the ground but actually, they have some unique benefits. Via, Livestrong.com I actually have learned a few things. Portobello mushrooms are low in sodium and low in calories and they also provide micronutrients, and phytochemicals.

1 cup of sliced Portobello mushroom provides 31% daily value of selenium, 30% dv of copper, and 18% dv of potassium and phosophorous. Portobello mushrooms also have iron, zinc, magnesium, manganese, calcium, riboflavin (34% dv), and niacin (36% dv). Portobello mushrooms also have vitamins pantothenic acid, folate, choline, vitamin B6, and thiamin. Whooo that was a lot but it's nice to know the nutrients you are receiving when you do eat! 
Portobello mushrooms also contain phytochemicals which aren't measured in terms of vitamins or minerals. Portobello mushrooms have a high ORAC rating which measures the antioxidant capability of a food. 

That was a lot of work but it was worth it! I'm glad that I now know that Portobello mushrooms have nutritional value and aren't just a culture of fungi. Anyways, off to the recipe !

Herb Mozzarella Portobello Mushroom
Serves: 1

Ingredients:
- One Portobello Mushroom 
- teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of rosemary and oregano
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- two quartered mini tomatoes. 
- 1/3- 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese (really optional, you can put as much or as little as you want!)

Directions:
1. Take a brush and scrub any dirt or particles off of your portobello mushroom then set down on a paper towel to dry. 
2. When dry, de stem the Portobello mushroom by pulling the stem out and twisting. 
3. Place the Portobello mushroom upside down so that the cap is facing down. Spread 1 teaspoon of olive oil in the Portobello mushroom.
4. add your herbs, salt and pepper.
5. Put your tomatoes in and this would be the time to add any additional ingredients like strips of chicken or veggies.
6. Place your cheese carefully on top. 
7. This next step is totally up to you. I used my toaster oven to bake then broil my Portobello mushroom but you can also carefully place your mushroom on a pan and put it in the oven. I would set your oven to 350 degrees at bake. Once the cheese is melted, you should change your oven or toaster to broil and crack a small opening in the door of the oven. 
8. Once the cheese looks well melted and the Portobello mushroom looks a little dehydrated, it's ready! 



Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment