Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Basic, Easy, Granola Recipe





One day I woke up and walked into my kitchen. As my stomach grumbled, I opened the refrigerator and right in front of my eyes was a huge tub of Fage Greek yogurt. My mouth watered as I threw multiple scoops of this thick yogurt into my bowl. I chopped up some kiwi's and drizzled some honey on top... then I realized something... I was missing some crunch to this yogurt. I decided to make some homemade granola without all the sugar and fat in most store bought granolas. This is a super easy recipe that I kind of measured by eye but, I tried to estimate the measurements used and recorded them. 

Basic Granola Recipe
Makes about 3-4 Cups 

Ingredients:
-3 cups of rolled oats
-Handful of Chopped almonds or Walnuts
-Handful of raisings 
-1/2 cup apple juice
-1/4 cup of vegetable oil (coconut oil is really good)
-1/2 cup of honey ( I used a mix of agave and honey)
-1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
-1/8 teaspoon cloves
-1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Instructions:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees farenheit. 
1. In a medium sized sauce pan, combine all wet ingredients and leave on a stove top for about 5 minutes on medium high. Or until the honey has melted and everything has been combined well.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix together rolled oats, chopped nuts, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. 
3. Carefully pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together until the dry ingredients are well coated.
4. spread out all of your mixture onto a pan evenly so it's not bunched up. If it's too clumpy, the granola will not loose of its moisture and there will be no crunch!
5. every 5 minutes, use a spoon or chopstick to move the granola around on the pan so it breaks up any clumps. 
6. Bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown. 
7. Take out of the oven and let cool. This is the time to mix any dried fruits into the granola! It's really what you want it to be, be creative!


I have been MIA these past few weeks because I've been on a trip on the Big Island for a cross country camp and, I've just been so busy! But I'm really trying hard to squeeze in time to write! 

No comments:

Post a Comment