Sunday, August 4, 2013

How to Flavor Kombucha

Over the past few weeks, I have made a conclusion on Kombucha... I love it. It's so much fun and it never gets boring plus, I get to drink it and share it with my family and friends. It's an endless adventure with different flavor combinations and I would love to start a Kombucha business one day. I've gone through a few batches already and I would like to explain the flavoring part of Kombucha.

Basically, after the 6 or 7 days of fermenting, the Kombucha is ready to be bottled. Once the Kombucha is bottled, the bottles are usually left out in a dark area to carbonate. This is the exact time when Kombucha can be flavored. Herbs, spices, and usually fruits can be used to flavor kombucha.

So far, I've only used fruits and it's really awesome to see what combinations work well together. I've made cherry, rasberry, white nectarine, orange, grapefruit, rasberry lime, mango, ginger, pineapple, and strawberry Kombucha. They all tasted great but my favorite was white nectarine, rasberry lime, lemon ginger, and mango. White nectarine has a light taste with a clarified sweetness to it that's very refreshing. The Rasberry lime is like rasberry iced tea with a tang to it. It has a beautiful red hue to it and It's a great flavor. The Ginger and lemon is such an awesome flavor because it has a gingery/lemony taste that has spice and energy in it. It almost tastes like acidic ginger ale with a sweetness to it. The Mango flavor is very sweet and the liquid turns almost orange when you flavor it. It basically tastes like fizzy mango and it's almost like candy!

You can really come up with any flavor you want from cinnamon to mint. It's your choice and that's the great part about flavoring Kombucha. Start by coming up with a bunch of different flavors and seeing which ones you like the best.

When working with fruit, you can either cut it up or place in the liquid whole. When I add citrus fruits to my Kombucha, I usually cut a wedge and squeeze the juice into the Kombucha tea. Then I take the squeezed wedge and I place it in the bottle and put the cap on. If you don't like pulp, you can strain when you serve it in a glass or cup.

When I flavor my Kombucha with berries, I usually cut them in half and place into the Kombucha. The berries give the Kombucha a very vibrant hue and strong flavor.

When using ginger, grate it into the liquid because you don't want to be drinking huge pieces of ginger. Regarding all the other fruits, usually you should chop it up or slice it and place it in the liquid. While the Kombucha is carbonating, a small scoby may grow so remove and compost when drinking it... Or you could eat it if you want!
fresh fruits! 

My flavored Kombucha with all the crap on my dinner table 

No comments:

Post a Comment