Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kombucha Scoby Experiment Update #2

It has been exactly 10 days since I have set up my Kombucha Scoby growing experiment. There has been a ton of growth and I've been able to eliminate one method indefinitely. Method #1 and Method #2 have not faltered yet but, Method #3 has ultimately failed. I'm not saying that It won't work but it just didn't work for me so, I don't recommend it. Here is just an update with pictures for each method! I'm so excited because two scoby's have under gone rapid growth. I'm surprised that these scobys have grown so fast!

You can see the day 1 pictures and week #1 update here.


Results:
Method #1: 

What you need:
-glass bowl (6 to 8" in diameter)
-16oz bottle of brewed kombuch
-a thin fabric or cheesecloth
-rubber band or string

Instructions:
1. Pour 16oz of your store bought Kombucha into a glass bowl.
2. Cover your bowl with your cheesecloth or two papertowels and secure with a rubberband.
3. Store your bowl or jar in a dark place where it won't be bothered.
4. Wait 1 to 3 weeks for your scoby to form. 



As you can see, this scoby is thickening a lot and starting to become opaque. It's a very good sign! The great thing is that it's only been 10 days. 

Method #2:

What you need:
-Glass Bowl
-16oz Raw Unpasteurized Kombucha (Store Bought)
-1 tea bag of black or green tea
-1 tbsp of sugar 
-1 cups of boiling water
-cheesecloth or two papertowels
-A rubber band

Instructions:
1. Steep 1 tea bag in 1 cup of boiling water and add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved and let the mixture come to room temperature. 
2. After your sugared tea is at room temperature, combine with your bottle of Kombucha in the glass jar.
3. Cover with cheesecloth or papertowel and secure with a rubberband.
4. Leave in a dark place where your Kombucha won't be bothered. 
5. A Scoby will grow in about 2 weeks




After the Week#1 update, Method #2 Scoby was a lot larger. It still is and it's about 1/4-1/3 inch thick. The instructions state that the Scoby would grow in about 2 weeks. It's only been 10 days and there's been a lot of growth. Once it's about 1 inch thick, I think that I will start using it to make Kombucha.


Unfortunately, Method #3 didn't work for me at all so I kind of ditched making an effort to upload any pictures of it.

For anyone, I think that Method #1 and Method #2 definitely work and I totally recommend using them!

No comments:

Post a Comment