Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Vegan Veggie Sprouted Wild Rice Sushi with Chili-lime-peanut dressing


One of the things I thought I wouldn't be able to give up when I initially went vegan was fish. Red meat and white meat were easy but fish was definitely a challenge at first. I had grown up eating fish and ate it 3 or more times a week. If you knew me, I loved shellfish and creatures from the ocean and one of my favorite dishes to eat was authentic sushi. When I initially decided to become a vegan, that was perplexing to me! How could I not eat sushi? Well, after a few weeks into being strictly vegan, I realized that while simplifying my diet, my taste simplified as well. I didn't crave any type of meat, fatty foods, sweets, or salts. It was an interesting realization as my palette simplified while I was eating nutrient dense foods! I also loved the fact that I wasn't consuming the detrimental traces of mercury in the raw fish now on the market.

I still love tastes that are associated with the types of food I used to eat. Not eating meat is not limiting at all and there are so many flavors created through curiosity and adventure. This recipe is a reflection of my curiosity to discover what more I could do with raw foods. It's quite exciting for me because this recipe is high in nutrients and has a very light taste. It's not overpowering and when I was done eating, my body felt nice and replenished.

To make this recipe, you will need to sprout wild rice. It's very easy because all you need is water and the rice. The rice "blooms" and it becomes chewy without having to cook it! 

In this awesome sushi roll, I used a variety of veggies and avocado to hold everything together. The refreshing crunch of carrots and cucumber is contrasted by the creamy and dense avocado, while the sesame sprouted wild rice has a touch of savoriness. It's also very easy to make if you set up your ingredients efficiently. I think this is a great recipe for lunch or dinner and it definitely looks like I will be eating a lot of these rolls throughout the summer. What I love besides the flavor is the nutritional benefits from this sushi roll. The seaweed is very high in essential minerals that are otherwise not usually found in other foods. In addition, the sprouted grains provide a good amount of protein and fiber. Avocado provides essential fatty acids for brain function.  Finally, and how can I forget, the veggies provide luscious vitamins and minerals that aid in the functioning of our bodies.

This recipe is also EASY to do... All you need are a few simple ingredients and something to roll the sushi with. You don't necessarily need a sushi roller because you may not have that in your house but, here are some solutions from Minimalist Baker!

Vegan Veggie Sprouted Wild Rice Sushi with Chili-Lime-Peanut dressing ~About 3 rolls
Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup Wild Rice
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
-Chili pepper 
- 3-4 Leaves of Dino Kale- De-stemmed
- Half of a Japanese cucumber - Cut in quarters length wise, then sliced
- Half of a whole carrot- Cut in quarters length wise, then sliced
- Half an avocado- Pitted and sliced
-3-4 Nori Sheets 

Instructions For Sprouting the Rice:
1. Place all of the Wild Rice into a container and cover with water.
2. Leave over night and once the rice has bloomed, strain it and fill again.
3. Wait a couple more hours until fully bloomed and chewy.
4. When the Rice is fully bloomed, season with Chili Pepper, sesame oil,  and Himalayan or Sea Salt.

Instructions for assembling the sushi:
1. Place a nori sheet down on a sushi roller.
2. Place about 1 cup of the sprouted wild rice onto the nori sheet. (The rice will expand so you will have much more than 1.5 cups that you initially started with).
3. Place leaves of kale on top of the rice until fully covered.
4. Add cucumber and carrot slices in the center of the nori sheet.
5. Lastly, add avocado slices in the center as well.
6. Roll!!!! Roll tightly until the sushi is held together well.
7. Slice with a sharp knife and plate.

Instructions for the Chili-Lime-Peanut Dressing:
Ingredients:
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon of Chili Powder
1 tablespoon of Organic peanut butter
2 teaspoons of water
1/8 teaspoon of Raw Manuka Honey

Instructions:
1. Combine everything and stir vigorously until combined!


Morning After soaking the Wild rice

Assembling the Sushi on the mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment