Thursday, June 6, 2013

Growing a Kombucha Scoby Method Experiment

Hi everyone, I'm still very stoked about growing my own Kombucha culture but, I'm losing some faith in the method I'm using. Some sites online say that I can use store bought Kombucha to grow my culture and others don't! There's many different methods that certain people suggest and I really would like to see which one works best. Therefore, I'm going to try 3 different methods of growing a starter culture so I can share the best method for people to use! I would hate to blog about a method that doesn't work at all. I've found 3 different methods of growing a SCOBY by using store bought raw kombucha. You can always buy commercial Kombucha starters, or get a SCOBY from a friend but, being a broke teenager, all I can really afford are the bottled Kombucha from the store.

I'm going to test out these methods to see how long it takes and if a scoby is even created...

Method #1: 

What you need:
-glass bowl (6 to 8" in diameter)
-16oz bottle of brewed kombuch
-a thin fabric or cheesecloth
-rubber band or string

Instructions:
1. Pour 16oz of your store bought Kombucha into a glass bowl.
2. Cover your bowl with your cheesecloth or two papertowels and secure with a rubberband.
3. Store your bowl or jar in a dark place where it won't be bothered.
4. Wait 1 to 3 weeks for your scoby to form. 

First Thoughts:
By looking at the pictures on the site (ferm up) that I used, I think this method could be really good! You're using the whole bottle of Kombucha, which makes your solution very acidic and concentrated. It did work for this person so I hope it works. I'm very hopeful because it's the most recent recipe made. 



Method #2:

What you need:
-Glass Bowl
-16oz Raw Unpasteurized Kombucha (Store Bought)
-1 tea bag of black or green tea
-1 tbsp of sugar 
-1 cups of boiling water
-cheesecloth or two papertowels
-A rubber band

Instructions:
1. Steep 1 tea bag in 1 cup of boiling water and add 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix until sugar is dissolved and let the mixture come to room temperature. 
2. After your sugared tea is at room temperature, combine with your bottle of Kombucha in the glass jar.
3. Cover with cheesecloth or papertowel and secure with a rubberband.
4. Leave in a dark place where your Kombucha won't be bothered. 
5. A Scoby will grow in about 2 weeks

First Thoughts:
 I'm a little skeptical about this method because certain sites online say that this doesn't work anymore but, It really doesn't hurt to try so, I'm excited to see the results! This does say it takes two weeks so it may not show initial results. This recipe is the second most recent so I hope it's consistent. 



Method #3:


What you need:
-2 bottles of GTS Raw Kombucha
-2 bags of black tea
-1/3 cup white sugar
-2 cups of Spring water 
-Large Glass Jar
-Cheese cloth
-rubberband

Instructions:
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add sugar, stir and let dissolve for 5 minutes.
3. Add black tea, cover and let steep for 10 - 15 minutes.
4. Put steeped tea in jar and let cool to room temp.
(or allow tea to cool in pot and then pour into jar)
5. Open bottles and let cultures float to top.
6. Pour 1/2 of each bottle into jar.
7. Cover jar with cloth and fasten with rubber band.
8. Let sit in dark quiet place until SCOBY forms.
My First Thoughts:
I'm SUPER excited to try this method! What at first sets this apart from other methods is the fact that there is a video to back it up. I really hope this works but I don't know if I have the patience to wait a month... yes, an impatient teenager as always. 

Overtime, I will be updating the growth of these scoby's ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment