Monday, March 24, 2014

Going BANANAS for BANANA Ice Cream

3rd Quarter is over. That's all that really needs to be said because that wraps up all of my thoughts. I can sleep, take time when eating, savoring every single bite. I can go outside on my porch and lie down in the sun, soaking up every bit of warmth. I can leisurely finish homework and go shopping at my favorite health stores. I can DO ANYTHING basically... Like taking time to make my breakfast, however, today I had banana ice cream which only took 5 minutes. Darn, eating a high raw vegan lifestyle is the least time consuming because it's so simple therefore, taking my time doesn't really take a lot of time. I hope that made sense...

I love certain parts of dairy ice cream. It tasted good, but then again, it makes you feel like crap after, there's added hormones in the milk, there's unneeded hormones in the milk itself, it's not nutrient dense at all, and it's full of fat, cholestrol, and refined sugars. It's all about being as simple as possible, and for me, eating raw vegan foods is simple but abundant in nutrients. For example, if I wanted to increase my intake of Omega-3 fatty acids, I could use the mainstream idea of eating more fish like salmon. When I really look into it, chia seeds are full of Omega-3 fatty acids with less calories and more nutrients like vitamins and minerals. I then analyze the industries they come from. BenVia Gold, a company that sells chia seeds has much better quality control than the fish industry as they make sure the soil the chia is grown in is full of nutrients. The fishing industry is another story, where you may not know where your fish is coming from, what they are being fed, and how high their mercury levels are. Yes, you may be getting Omega 3 fatty acids from a slab of salmon but, what you are not getting is also something to consider too, as well as the unsustainable over-fishing you are contributing to. I think keeping it simple and less difficult is a sustainable diet and eating complicated things like dairy ice cream or meat weren't doing me well in terms of nutrition.

Anyways, back to the present moment of delicious, creamy, amazing, nutritious banana ice cream. This stuff is so good... and so simple. All it is are frozen bananas, a touch of water to get the blender going, and any flavoring you want to add. You can add frozen fruit to make a creamy sorbet or chocolate and peanut butter if you want decadence. It really is your choice and any flavor you want can be made. I think I'm going to try making a chai flavor next time! So here's what I did:

Banana Ice Cream- Blueberry and Mango Flavors 
Serves 1 or 2 people
Ingredients:
-3 frozen bananas
-1 cup frozen mango
-2/3 cup frozen blueberries
-touch of water
1. Half the amount of frozen bananas and throw into a food processor. Add the frozen cubes, a splash of water, and process until smooth.
2. All you have to do is repeat with the blueberries!
3. You can add small things like chia seeds, granola, and fruit in the ice cream for a cool blend of flavors.
This explains the happiness I feel for banana ice cream and spring break :)

No comments:

Post a Comment